Plantains belong to the banana family and are mostly cooked. Some people eat them raw, however, when ripe. They are usually longer than ordinary bananas and become darker as they ripen. For you to get the best out of this recipe, you will need to buy the ripe plantains. That is, those with black parts.
There are different recipes for preparing plantains but for today we will give you the simplest one. A recipe that is easy to follow and you should have no difficulties trying it out. The look of plantains can be deceiving especially when they are overly ripe. But what you get after cooking them is something that can get you hooked up for the rest of your life.
That aside, let’s learn how to make delicious fried plantains:
5 ripe plantains
1. Cut the plantain at both ends using a sharp knife. This makes it easier to remove the peel.
2. Slice the peeled plantains into diagonal slices and put them aside.
3. Using a heavy duty pan, heat cooking oil until it’s ready. To check if the oil is hot enough, dip one slice of plantain and observe if the oil bubbles. If it doesn’t let it heat some more.
4. Put the sliced plantains in the hot oil in batches and let them fry until golden brown. Turn the plantains occasionally to make sure both sides are well cooked.
5. Once they are ready, carefully transfer them to a bowl lined with a paper towel to allow absorption of any excess oil. When still hot, sprinkle salt to taste and any other seasoning of your choice.
6. Serve them while still hot and enjoy your meal
It’s as simple as that!